Tuesday 6 September 2016

Kody Penno's Northern Vibes


>
> Let's imagine the contents of Peggy's grandchild's iPod, and start to get a sense of culture's direction within a technocratic ideology. Patios and chain bistros keep popping up in the name of revitalization: what to do?  Watch the undercurrents and ride trend's waves. Have a good time being alone in a crowd, call outs and personae non grata. Shaking hands with the owner, is that what I'm here for? Retreat to the dives.
>
> I got into a fight with the captain, trying to stop him from eating garbage. Why do people defend their worst habits so fiercely? Let me tell u bout Titania the wonder woman. She's on her way. As lesser wo(men) snipe and huff, as (wo)men quaff and quibble, dedicated students of change discover their superpowers, mainline espresso. On to the next episode in the saga of the tall (wo)man and the tiny dog. She's being awful to me, but nothing undeserved, a (wo)man as handsome as me deserves a tiny beast to do battle with. And so back to the realm of the Phoenix Marvel girl, of angry la(d)dies living with with big dogs, who defend the poor and different, stand up to the insecure and indifferent. Naturally, (Fe)male anger is terrifying to the general populace, shunned in polite conversation, stigmatized and pathologized by mainstream medicine, whose primary goal is the narrowly defined health of the established social order. That's pretty retro.

Here's a chat with Kody Penno, Sault Ste Marie-based musician and father, on the topics of live rap shows, sampling, speaking truth to power and developing as a performing artist.

> > > > > > Sammy-d:
> > > > > > How long have you and Joonas Kamula been recording and performing together?

> > > > Kody-nomicon:
> > > > > >Recording together? Almost 5 years. Recording came out of the need to duplicate our freestyle jams and find our sound. It has progressively gotten a little better every year with the more Joonas and I learn. As for performing together, this is the first year that we have done live performances with each other.

> > > > > > Sammy-d:
> > > > > > The Northern Vibe festival gig was a big one for you. What kind of presentation were you aiming for with this longer set on an outdoor stage?


> > > > Kody-:
> > > > > >Well now that its over we can talk about it with a little hindsight. My original hope was to bring the freestyle musician into the limelight. I invited as many of my musician friends as I could to come participate including the two most talented drummers I know; Kevin Overton and Joey Graham, who did a tremendous job even with all the random last second changes to the set.
>
> In the begining, I (had) set up three games:
>
> The compliment battle,
> stump the emcee
> and a game called objectify,
>
> all of which translated relatively well to the large stage. The next part was going to be a set with my friend Palli Johnas Gundmanson, a very talented beat boxer and synthesizer operator. But he showed up late... so we made up his whole section on the spot: it was really fun.
>
> The very last section was meant to be made up almost solely of our created instrumental tracks with solo performances by Jizzy baby (aka Jasmin Vergin) and $onny Vybe$ (aka Zach James Son)...because of time crunch issues, I decided to cut much of our set... and replaced it with an impromptu jam session. Really more than anything I wanted to get my drummers back on stage. And then I gave mr. Vybe$ a solo set.
>
> > > > > > Sammy-ds:
>
> Nice, Zach's a really exciting performer.
> Where else have you been playing in the Soo, and who with? What's the most fun you've had at a gig this year?

> > > > Kody-nomicon:
> > > > > >We started off with a show at Lop Lops on Queen street. Opening up for a hip hop group called Kids.
>
> > > Sammy-diferous: O ya, I did a set at that show with DJ Miley, we had a couple great group cyphers and too many show tunes going on.

> Kody-:

> That was really fun but more than anything was a learning experience. Getting to see the way Kids handle themselves on stage was a real inspiration.... Then i think it was me and Sonny at the New A,  jumping on an opening slot for a great skate punk band called Grave Party. Just after that was my good friend Jasmin's birthday bash at the Rock Star bar. Finally, just before Vibes we did a experimental set at the Gore Street Cafe, opening for Hush Pup.

> > > > > > Sammy-diferous:
> > > > > >Nice, that sounds like a cool set. Tell me a bit about your production style, and how playing instruments informs the way that you create beats.

> > > > Kody-nomicon.
> > > > > >My production style originally was purely experimental. Seeing what I could really get out of the live sample, or using different programs to alter and change things beyond recognition.... But as I progressed, learning the different technologies and programs, I've began to look at it from much more of a composer point of view. I've really been trying to return to the music and want to be able to combine my love of live instrumentation with electronic/digital and vinyl. As far as recording goes I am just comfortable in the booth. I like doing a million takes haha i get all wrapped up and before you know it its 3 am .

> > > > > > Sammy-difer:

> I know that zone! Ok, as far as content goes, what does it mean to you to have a concious message to your music and how do you work to get that across?

> > > > Kody-nom:

> > > > > >In a manner of speaking, it just happens. The writing process for me a lot of the time is really freeform when I begin. So ideas pop up and if it fits, it fits. I... feel like I'm a fairly conscious individual, so if there is an issue I feel I need to bring light to, I try not to hesitate. I research a lot of environmental issues on my own away from writing... I feel like that has a real influence on my content.

> > > > > > Sammy-diferous:
> > > > > > What are some of your dream collaborations or projects?

> > > > Kody-nomi.
> > > > > >Dream collabs ? Like my fantasy football of emcees and djs?

> Sammy: yeah man, exactly

> Kody: Haha Amp live, he's an electronic dj out of L.A., put me on for some Wu Tang anything, maybe a cross genre collab with like the Casualties or the Rip Chords. Feat. On a sublime with rome track.

Sammy: If you ran a radio station, what kind of shows would you broadcast?

Kody: mos def , Black Thought , Tech nine , Immortal Technique,  Livesavas, Quantum records... the list goes on buddy...

> > > > > > Sammy-diferous:
> > > > > > What are the joys and pains that are most important part of your motivation to make music?

> > > > Kody-nomicon:
> > > > > >The joy comes from the act of producing and performing, I wouldn't do it if I wasn't truly enjoying myself. I would still do it even if everyone hated my music and nobody listened. The struggle comes with it, it's a part of life and so I really try to not let much stand in my way. Music or otherwise.

> > > > > > Sammy-diferous
> > > > > > Word man, true that applies to a lot of pursuits and struggles. How long have you been writing rhymes?


> > > > Kody-nomn.
> > > > > >My first verse was like when i was really young, too young to understand what I was actually doing or how to make a song. My friend Matt showed me this guy that goes by the name of slim shady....
>
> Sammy: my cousin Riel passed me some hype Toronto mixtapes around 99 that was when Shady was the bomb
>
> Kody:
>
> yeah Eminem was my introduction to rap and hip hop. I spent 3 days in my friends basement writing and practicing a verse that never ended up getting shown to anyone. I took a really long break after that. I didnt start writing again until high school, and by then my musical focus was strongly directed (towards) punk and metal. The more I wrote, though, the more I felt I couldn't fully express myself in those genres. After high school I met Joonas and it was off and running from there. Been writing... about 5 years now.

> > > > > > Sammy:
> > > > > > How can musicians play a role in communicating important issues to a larger audience?

> > > > Kody-nomicon:
> > > > > >Music has the ability to invoke emotion in people who are otherwise numb. I can tell you that there are problems with homophobia in the music industry but it took Macklemore to record a catchy song about it to make any changes. You may not listen to the guy on the street corner talking about climate change but for millions of teenagers who listen to strange music and the song wall-e by Ces Cru will tell them what the media glosses over once a fiscal year. Sometimes twice for good measure. For a kid who's grown up in the first world the song third world by Immortal Technique is a wake up call . You can hit issues and have them be hit every time someone listens to that song. You can make the message last .

> > > > > > Sammy-diferous:
> > > > > > I like it, that's a very hopeful, powerful attitude yous got. What's the best album you've heard this week ?

> > > > Kody-nomicon:

> > My son the hurricains new album. Im biased though, cause I got to see them live at (Northern) Vibes haha.

> Sammy:
> Lol, yeah I hear they put on a great show....

Stay tuned for fresh music from Kody and Joonas. And now back to my regularly scheduled ramble.
>
> > > >
> > > > And they couldn't do anything, dude. So I have no faith in this, both ladies say, referring to the law. And the children like your boombox.  You, on the other hand.... It is not my place to say. It is not even my dog that I discipline, not my natural or learned inclination to assert dominance. I still see hierarchy as the problem, even beyond or within patriarchy, not to dismiss generational trauma and abuses. it's called arms length, when someone works for their family, called drunk not dense when someone asks several times if their bill has been settled. The old tabs are being passed out like messages from Anubis, like the physical weight of your hearts ache. Bix nix that. I have no debts but to my circle and to my partners, to those whom I trust and respect. So they're closed on Tuesdays. It was his fucking netty pot. With no music blaring, the lonely hush of the distant overpass casts a shadow over the sleeping city. It's like my life was so boring before. Streetcars pass. The bar is closed, the staff is happy, nice chance to chat with Frank, let the kids look for after hours and the commuters sleep in cryptic alum, between the witching hour and the morning lies the twilight of rebirth. Sleepus, darling.
> > > >
> > > > S Ayton was spectacular of course, and to meet Adrian (Badlands, Los Angeles) was also a pleasure. Glass Hand slayed and your next chance to see them will be at the Horseshoe!!:-)



No comments:

Post a Comment